Pardon my morbid title for this week’s post, but Im going to get a little candid here. How often do you walk around your office, or the hospital you work at, at your children’s soccer practice, or God forbid…the mirror…. and see real life zombies!? You know the kind that trudge from place to place, with little to no energy to do anything but find the next snack or pick me up!? If you know my love for metaphors, you know what Im hinting at. No these zombies aren’t eating flesh healthy people, at least literally, but they are looking for the next processed donut, bag of chips, or snicker bar to spike their blood sugar enough to stand up, albeit hunched over. These zombies scoff at people who eat their vegetables, cant imagine what it might be like to work out every day, and can barely stand the people who smile and skip around them.
Look, we’ve all been there. I may be type casting, but Ive been the person who would wake up, have sugar in my coffee, get a pop tart out of the vending machine, not eat ALL DAY, and then devour some garlic cheeseburgers and garlic fries with all sorts of dipping sauce. I rarely worked out except for the occasional guilt trodden “I better burn this off”, oh and I drank alcohol (something Im very allergic to) 2-3x a week. Diet sodas and red bulls were my best friend. Granted this was my senior year in college, which many people might have similar stories, but I know at this very moment, this is many people’s current realitiy. During this time, I got to my heaviest weight… 163.8 lbs, was ALWAYS sick, whether it be this infection or that, and eventually found out I had had mononucleosis for like 2 months. I was just used to feeling like crud… I had no idea I had this horrible state of health I needed to improve. It’s the worst Ive ever been, but I cant hide from the truth, in fact the truth DRIVES ME… Ive been there.
I share this with you because I had a really cool conversation with a coworker yesterday who cited how he used to workout everyday, eat right, pack his lunch but now…. :::insert excuse::: We came to the realization that whatever it is, its just excuses and its up to the person to be motivated enough to make the change. He asked me a great question though and said “What keeps you up all the time, staying motivated, never getting off track?!”… and I answered “I just spent my entire life wishing I was the way I am now.” He was floored and impressed with my answer. Heck, I was! I had never heard it come out of my mouth quite like that. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired and I KNOW theres so many people out there that feel the same way- they’re just waiting to meet the person, be in the situation, read the article, or have that last disgusting meal that makes them face the music. I needed my senior year in college to finally realize “enough was enough…I am MORE than this… I am NOT a zombie.”
Heres how I went from the walking dead to the skipping smile you almost normally always see:
1) SLEEP I try to get 6-8 hours every night and suffer BIG TIME if I dont. Sometimes my sleep still suffers because I have the curse of an entrepreneur go go go mind, but my body ALWAYS thanks me with proper rest.
2) WATER – I bring large containers to drink water with me everywhere. When I first wake up I chug almost 90 ounces (over the first few hours) because I tend to be dehydrated as soon as I wake up, as are many people…
3) NUTRIENTS- this is something I feel SO passionately about. We go around relying on food thats been made who knows where with who knows what to give us proper vitamins, minerals, protein, carbs, and fats to properly fuel our bodies, keep our minds clear and sharp, recover all the damage its been through day to day, digest whatever it is we put into our bodies, and absorb the good stuff to keep us growing and moving forward.
I not only eat fruits and veggies as much as I can, as well as healthy fats like avocado, but SUPERFOODS have been a huge secret to my success. It combats cravings, helps me LOVE healthy food, and absolutely keeps me on track. There are SEVENTY, yes 70, superfoods in Shakeology. Its no secret that this is one of my most powerful tools in being healthy. This is not just some protein shake… this is health in a glass. I think we’d all recover from the zombie plague if we could just have this once a day.
4) Whole, unprocessed REAL FOOD – need I say more?
5) MOVEMENT- getting up from sitting, moving around all day, 30 minute HIIT interval training, or long walks on the beach. Whatever it is, its NOT beating your body to a pulp. Does your run help your body feel awesome or are you crying everytime you go down the stairs? Choose exercise that EMPOWERS YOUR…. if you keep running into injury- ask yourself, what is my body telling me?
6) STRESS- while this cant be completely avoided, and often times stress can be good stress, I try to avoid worrying or getting angry or getting caught up in things I cant control. People who stress tend to release stress hormones that hold on to fat. So not only is your mind miserable, but your waistline starts to rebel. Do you want that? No thank you!
7) MENTAL LOVE: whether thats Church, meditation, yoga, personal development… our minds process so much junk. And yes I too love reality television. Its like a bite out of a brownie sundae for me, however if I didnt listen to my audio books, podcasts, and surround myself with positive people, I too would have a chronic headache and really despise people who smiled and skipped around. Ever wonder why happy people might drive you nuts? Thats a sign you should probably nurture your mind, harness that anger, and look within yourself.
While Im FAR from perfect, I still have my moments. But after years of research, helping others, and attempting to walk the walk myself … there are very simple steps we need to take to ensure our health and happiness has the best chance possible in this crazy, unpredictable world. It might not be easy, at first, but its simple. You do NOT have to trudge from place to place aimlessly, hanging your head low, hating the world…. life is way too beautiful to be a zombie.
If you ever need help waking up and pressing play on your life, Id love the chance to chat! Message me directly, anytime.