Hi friends! Hope your 2012 has been off to a strong start!
Many of you are aware that I overcame a big weight loss and have stayed away from yo-yoing for the most part. The most Ive fluctuated was 10 lbs, but even that was too scary for me. No one ever wants to creep back up to their original weight and weight management is just as tough if not tougher than weight loss. Again, getting hard workouts or trying to eat right doesnt stay the hard part, its making sure you are keeping yourself accountable and making the necessary adjustments throughout your health and fitness evolution.
What I mean by that is you need to ask yourself simple questions like, are you still being honest with the type of fuel you are ingesting, ie calories, fat, fiber, protein etc and a big one is are your workouts still hard? are they still challenging you? The same questions that you asked yourself when you first approached your weight loss journey. This requires continuous education and seeking out tools that will continue to motivate you. Fitness buddies. Fitness Journals. Fitness blogs (hmm that sounds familiar). Putting yourself in a mentor position, helping others. Weve all heard that sometimes the best way to learn is to teach (hmmm that sounds familiar too). There is no reason one cant enjoy their life the way they always have, especially during weight maintenance. It just takes some diligent effort to make sure you are being good to yourself 🙂
This weekend for example my boyfriend took me to Carrabbas for a wonderful date night and then we hit up a Sixteen Candles cover band show at the Vogue. We then hit up Chi-town to visit friends and let our hair down. A lot of live music this weekend!!!
I wanted to further address the importance of the “love of food”. After talking to a few people Ive been helping. So many people have a lot in common with me. They LOVE food. I do believe in changing the way you look at food, but that is a process that takes time, it sure has for me. I have to admit to them and will admit to you all that I have always enjoyed food as an escape, a treat, a motivation, always a pleasure, a part of experiencing life, a fun night out with friends, a perfect date night always incorporates a great dinner, right!? Well I still do. Ive made simple adjustments! I know that there are weekends where my scale will reflect a high number or two than others, but for that very reason you always just get back to the basics and never let yourself completely let go.
My 5 tips to still be a foodie and be fit:
1) Find great recipes that are health conscious and you will find making food at home so rewarding because you can make it taste AMAZING without the calorie sacrifice
2) When going to restaurants, study the menu and make a healthier choice. You dont have to go for the most bland or boring, just be smart. Be real. Dont go for the worst, but go for something you’ll truly enjoy.
3) You can still find restaurants where the flavor is rich but the portions arent humongous. We all know those restaurants whos servings actually feed 4. If you do love these joints, pack half of it to go!
4) When indulging, make it one night a week. You can prepare for it, look forward to it, or if you slip, you have the rest of the week to stay on track. Anything more than that will throw you off track and accumulate the pounds, whether quickly or slowly.
5) Use your meal planning like a budget. If you skim off 200-500 calories a day through the week, you can splurge 1000-2500 extra calories on the weekend. Weight watchers take advantage of this through their point system, and I do this with my calorie tracking (I prefer livestrong.com). It will also help motivate you to work out extra hard!
Life does not stop when youre losing the weight nor must it stop after. Its all about balance. Chances are if youve come this far, you want to enjoy your evolving body and growing happiness. It may not be 5x a week, or the frequency in which it used to be, but your adjustments to enjoy what youve always enjoyed in more educated and efficient ways will be the key to making your lifestyle change permanent. Whats life about anyways if we’re not enjoying it?
Here are some fun announcements that are up and coming this week: