Hope you all had as an incredible weekend as I did. My boyfriend and I hosted a holiday party with much success and I spent an awesome night with two of my best friends drinking wine and eating course by course with the Occasions Divine groupon. It didnt hurt that I was asked to be a bridesmaid to a friend Ive known since I was 3. I am so happy for her and cannot wait until October!
Below with two festive Caroler’s. I could not help but invite them in for warm scnapp hot chocolate and egg nogg.
Below at our 8 course meal, learning about wine, glass by glass.
I had grand plans to attend 3 classes this weekend to keep me on track with my fitness, however, I will admit it things can fall through. Sometimes I opt for fitness at the expense of sleep and end up being miserable and lacking energy all weekend. Since I was hosting all Friday night, I couldnt attend the Spin class I had wanted to on Saturday morning. I was proud of myself however for making it to Sunday’s Hot Yoga class and it was AWESOME. I was dripping with sweat and using my muscles in ways Ive been wanting to for quite some time. Very excited to incorporate this into my workout routine. Another example of trying new things more than once before it can truly be appreciated. A new instructor, location, and people can make it 10x better than your previous experience.
Now, just to be clear, I absolutely did NOT skip my workouts despite the classes not working out with my schedule. I took advantage of my back up plans and went to the LA fitness near me. I know that its not the most fun workout to hop onto an elliptical or treadmill or stairmaster, but I know what surely helps me make it fun. 1) A good tasting hydration fluid (water with crystal light for me) 2) a heart rate monitor to keep me on track and to help motivate me to work harder and 3) MUSIC!!! I was still able to have 600-700 calorie workouts during my hour because I had tricks to help push myself. It may be hard for you to believe, but I feel much more effective at motivating others than myself. This can be a tough process. Music is a must.
I touch on this topic because whether you do incorporate music into your workouts or dont, Ive had many comments on people enjoying my playlist or people wanting access to my playlists. I feel very free when it comes to what songs I purchase and use routine to routine, but I will definitely share with you what I do to gain motivating music.
1) Anytime I hear an AWESOME song on the radio, I note it on my Iphone or purchase it right there through the Itunes app. Ive heard Shazam is a great app too.
2) I look through Itunes of songs from those artists that I already am familiar with. If they have one song you love, chances are they probably have albums upon albums of that. For example I know that I can look up Pitbull, Afrojack, Black Eyed Peas, MIA, Beyonce, Nicki Minaj, JLO, Pink, and LMFA for go to jams. Now they might even have a few songs that annoy the heck out of you- so be open.
3) I love songs that build momentum. You can find these mixes through different DJ’s. I go to Itunes top dance songs or top rock or top pop so that Im not going to the same lead system every time. I find amazing songs Id never hear of by going here.
4) Mix up your station on the radio. I love 104.5 (Indianapolis) so I can hear the best of the best songs from years’ past. Nothing beats those classic hits you can remember only from movies or your parents talking about them. Those never get old.
5) Id suggest specific songs for you guys, but you know that whole famous story about this really wise man that didnt just hand over the fish and grains for the community, but instead he taught the community how to fish and farm? Well I know Im not teaching you how to survive nutritiously, but I will tell you that if you incorporate these techniques you will be building playlists that will motivate you on any machine.
Make that treadmill your first rock concert. Make that elliptical a Saturday night out in the club. Or make that stairmaster your own personal climb to the top of the Philadelpha Art Museum. Id certainly be lying if I didnt pretend I was the Italian Stallion from time to time… with my playlist motivating me step by step.
You’re in charge and dont you ever forget it. Happy Monday!