Have I blabbed to you personally yet? No? Ive been pretty much telling everyone and their mom about my new PERSONAL #cleanslate September challenge. Im embarking on a path that I haven’t been down yet… at least completely. And yes Ive lost over 35 lbs in my past, am incredibly active, and lead my challenges for all my clients, friends, and family, but heres why I needed this specific challenge at this point in my life…
I’ve stayed away from cleanses and trying out “clean eating” up until now for several reasons. Ive never really felt like anything was all that bad in my diet, and I never wanted to look at food in a way that would lead be to binge eating or feeling deprived or even worse- self loathing. However, I couldn’t continue to ignore feeling worse and worse about my day to day diet. Splenda, processed food, and too many “sweet treat” carbs were making a fit chick feel swollen, irritable, and like a big fat hypocrit- despite sincerely “doing my best”.
As much kind and loving talk I gave myself, I knew I wasn’t authentically allowing the self love and TLC I needed through proper nutrition that makes me feel on my A game. I wasn’t loving my body nor was I treating my body with love, so low and behold I signed up for a 3 month program to get me in order. I hired a coach and have my own accountability group to get me through… see everyone needs help! ESPECIALLY ME! I haven’t looked for real sincere help outside of the community Ive built in over 5 years- so I figured it was time.
Wanna know whats involved and not allowed for the first 28 days?
NO: Alcohol, wheat, dairy, processed food, junk (pastries, chips, yada yada), or trigger foods (foods that make you want to keep unnecessarily going back for more). Sound like no fun? Well…heres the cool stuff I know you’re DYING to know. Whats so GREAT about doing this!?!
As I told many last week, Ive been having tons more veggies, fruit, fun varieties of lean, organic protein and of course my Shakeology. However, after completing my first 7 days, I can relay to you MY BIG WINS:
1) Im getting more sleep.
2) I don’t have headaches now from the Splenda I used to consume.
3) I KNOW my sweet tooth is changing because rarely do my “sweet tooth” fixes have over 5 grams of sugar per serving. My nut butters are nothing but the nut itself and salt (versus all sorts of other junk)
4) The concept of eating PURE, REAL food and really taking a close look at ingredients included is truly transforming my grocery list.
5) Im experimenting with recipes- looking to spices for flavor instead of merely adding ranch on the side.
6) Weight is at least down 1-2 lbs for the first week and Im excited to see the real progress on my two week progress report I submit to my coach.
7) Im probably the most proud that Ive successfully completed 7 days of a very tough challenge- the no dairy (because of my coffee), no processed (because of my low cal habits), and no wheat (because of my love for all things bready and sweet) is what Im most amped about and simultaneously pumped to continue it for over 3 more weeks
The hard stuff so far? Im sure many things- but this past weekend stuck out the most. The social anxiety I received going to a concert was pretty intense, knowing I couldn’t have a diet coke while everyone else chugged their beer, nor could I have a cupcake while everyone downed their pizza and burgers and ritters ice cream. Instead I went to nice restaurants and had flat iron steaks and salmon with awesome veggies to feel “indulged”- with awesome, fun people, with great conversations. Though it was definitely hard not having my typical sweet fixes or my splenda doused coffee with cream- I survived the temptations. I was proud and happy that I didn’t sabotage my efforts just to have an emotional “pick me up” in which I realized is completely mental anyway and I dont NEED food for that- ever. As a result of realizing that, (regarding the concert) I listened to the music more, explored the laughter in my pretty amazing relationship , danced to country music I barely knew, and relished my man’s kisses more than ever. Although it was difficult leading up to the concert on “how I was going to handle temptation” when I got there…I found other sensations to really dive into, and thats something I think all people should explore, cleanse or not. I truly feel like Im loving my body by going through this challenge- Im seeing physical results, yes, but the new behavior and deliberate action steps to succeed are incredibly empowering, especially because I know they’re going to be present in my future lifestyle as well.
SO with only a splash of almond milk in my coffee (but mostly black) and 7 days of clean eating down the hatch, I hardly recognize myself and this new behavior…you know in that brilliant amazing type of way. Cant wait to give you more details next week….and in the mean time, remember…you’re in charge!